On Tuesday August 10, the first clutches of hatchlings emerged at the High Bar Hatchery!
High Bar sets the Bar High! Kathy and her amazing team, have rescued over 1000 eggs this year. The Crimi Hatchery is keeping the eggs safe from predators. Kathy needs help monitoring the emergence of the hatchlings starting July 23. Please get involved and take a shift!
hatcheries on High Bar Harbor, LBI, NJ
Kathy and her High Bar and Barnegat Light Team are working very hard this season. They've saved over 700 eggs as of June 30 2012. See below for the latest nest that is being protected on site! There are 15 sites protected outside of the hatchery! Thanks to the Crimi's for the addition of a 2nd hatchery.
We will continue our project at the LBI Foundation and also at High Bar Harbor. The goal is to protect terrapin nests from negative human impacts. Kathy aided by her dedicated team of volunteers already moved over 16 nests from heavily trafficked areas to the hatchery - just June 3, 2012!
A new hatchery was installed by some very dedicated volunteers (thanks to John Crimi for all of his hard work and generous support) working under the direction of Kathy Lacey. This is part of the LBI/ High Bar Harbor Conservation Program.
Here are some goals on Long Beach Island...
1) Assess and log terrapin nests with little, to no, impact on the female terrapins
2) Possibly relocate nests in areas with high human traffice (walking and cars)
3) Conduct a mark and recapture study of nesting female terrapins (after they nest)
4) Maintain hatcheries at the LBI Foundation in Loveladies and High Bar Harbor
5) Promote awareness and stewardship of terrapins and Barnegat Bay, NJ